4.09.2008

He teed off on that like he knew I was bringing the heat

I've figured out Doug Melvin's elaborate ruse. In order to take the pressure of Derrick Turnbow, he spent $10 million on Eric Gagne, knowing he would come to Milwaukee and serve up gopher ball after gopher ball, thereby giving the fans someone to hate and boo other than Turnbow. Do you think it's mere chance that Yost has yet to bring Turnbow into a game this season? Of course not, he needed Gagne to blow two of three save opportunities in just over a week so that when Turnbow does come into the game, the crowd will be elated and give him a hero's welcome. Seriously, could you really argue with giving Turnbow a shot at closing after what Gagne did tonight? I didn't expect Gagne to be Mr. bajillion consecutive saves again, but I figured he could at least keep the ball in the park!

Apparently Gagne shook off the change from Kendall on that dong pitch, saying he was caught up in the moment and wanted to throw the heat. Does anyone remember Nuke wanting to "announce his presence with authority" in Bull Durham? Yeah, I doubt it happened, but if Kendall did tip off Phillips, I couldn't blame him. Damn French (Canadian I know) always letting their emotion get in the way.

I'm not sure what bothered me more though, Gagne making 1 bad pitch that took a W away from a great pitching effort by Soup or Mota being absolutely unable to throw strikes. Let's hear it for Shousie and Weeks saving the day.

No comments: