6.29.2008

5-1 over Minnesota, 44-36, 4½ back
Winning the first two games of a 10 game road trip in Atlanta made me feel good, but dropping the next two (a Jorge Campillo 7 inning 2 run gem in the finale at Atlanta and a Joe Mauer tie breaking HR in the 8th at the series opener in Minnesota to overcome 4 Crew (2 by Braun) taters) made me feel worse in degree. It is a long road trip, and I strongly feel they should go 6-4 on this trip in order to make a statement to the fans, to the Cubs and more importantly, themselves. The Cubs have just dropped 3 in a row and, as of this blog, are at the point where they might want to start looking over their shoulder at the Cards and Crew.

That's why yesterday's win to give Parra his 7th straight winning decision to make the crew 3 and 2 on this trip was so huge in my opinion. Now you have Sheets pitching on Sunday for the Twinkie finale and the possibility of only needing to split in Arizona to reach the 6-4 trip mark.

Parra gave the Crew 7 inning of shutout ball, gave up only two hits and is now 8-2. I'm trying to think of the last time the Crew had two pitchers with more than 16 wins a piece? It could happen this year!

The offense did kind of shut down in the late innings, but I think the brightest spot was Hall ripping a 2R double in the 3rd. Would love to see B-Hall get hot.

On the long term prospects of this team, it came out this week that Sheets is not really interested in negotiating a contract during the season. I can't blame him for that, it was Melvin that didn't want to talk contract before the season. I just think this is where Attanasio steps up and says, "This is a different Brewer team. We are going to make the stretch to keep a top quality pitcher here." However, there is growing speculation about the Crew (among every other contender) making a move for Sabathia for a late season rental. I don't know about that. He hasn't been exactly sharp. I'm more curious about the possibility of K-Rod bringing that single season save record to Milwaukee in 2009. I don't know why I'm the only Brewer fan thinking about that.

No comments: