9.06.2008


3-2 win vs. San Diego, 81-60, 4.0 GB

Once Again Bailing Out Gagne

I didn't get to listen to any of this game, just a few checks of the score on Brewers.com while I worked at REI. Every time I checked however, I was ticked to only see 2 runs on the board. Josh Geer was making only his second start of his career and the lineup still seemd to be sleepwalking. Had it not been for Sabathia's RBI, who knows how this would have turned out? Actually, had it not been for Gagne, it would have ended in 9 instead of going 11 and ending on a J.J. Hardy single that scored Craig Counsell. Gagne gave up a tater to Brian Giles on the second pitch of the 8th to run his HR total to 11 in 37 innings pitched. Sabathia's given up 4 in 95 innings pitched as a Brewer. Sheets 14 in 179 innings pitched. Gagne MUST be grooving more pitches per inning than anyone on the staff-- not my definition of a good setup guy. I'm not a huge fan of booing, but Gagne's making $10 million, what does he expect from the crowd. I think now that the Crew has more pitchers on the staff thanks to the roster expanding, it's time to find someone else to do that setup role. Hell, I'd even be for Mota who at one time was my biggest target in the bullpen, but appears to be getting his act together.


The Crew was somewhat better with RISP, 3-9, and the Padres were pathetic 0-16 and missed out on a 1st & 3rd, 1 out in the top of the 11th when Shouse got an inning ending DP. Other concerns in addition to the anemic offense is Torres once again having to to 2 innings and Riske only going a ⅓ and walking a batter. Bright spots are a morale lifting win and the Reds once again beating the Cubs, 10-2. And as much as I hate to take pleasure in an injury, even someone as hated as Zambrano, the Crew still has a good chance at the Division if the Cubs continue to slide and Harden and Zambrano really do have arm issues.

No comments: