5.08.2008

Brewers lose 6-2 at Florida
Now 16-17
Burk [?] Badenhop was the recipient tonight of the Brewers lackluster offense. I commented to some co-workers that if I was a Rotissirie geek, I would merely stack my team with pitchers who were about to face the Brewers.

Talked to my father about the Crew tonight. He's been hearing the complaints about Yost and thoughts of Simmons taking over. And once again, people are pointing to '82 as an instance where firing your manager mid-season worked. While I may agree that Yost needs to turn this team around to save his job, I disagree that a team automatically does better with a new manager. That '82 team was a veteran team that needed the hands off approach of Harvey Kuene instead of the micro-managing style of Buck Rodgers. This team is young, they need a veteran manager... maybe not a first time manager.

The reason for firing Yost during the season should be because you, as a GM or owner, decide that this guy isn't doing the job, and rather than leave a "dead man walking", you toss him to the curb and HOPE that new blood invigorates the team enough to get fans back to the park. Then in the off season, you address your GM situation and do a hard target search for a good manager.

And I'm starting to think Melvin has to worry as well. The Brewers have put some good talent together, but perhaps Melvin tries to hard to continue with "scrap heap" projects rather than making tough decisions on the progress/ potential of our players. Maybe you can't worry that trading Rickie Weeks for a pitcher is a long term mistake?

Either way, I'm starting to think I'll be able to get a Sheets jersey really cheap by the time I visit Milwaukee this summer.

No comments: