4.13.2008

I hate starting posts when I may not be able to complete them, (I'm at work right now, an hour from show time) but, I don't feel like blogging at midnight tonight.

Game 11- Milwaukee v NY (N)
It's hard to write this post with my "Ben Sheets is Awesome" sandwich board on. I didn't get to listen to any of this game, just made occasional score checks from my register at REI customer service. The first check of Brewers.com was "Brewers back in game" which I figured meant, "They put a run on the board after the Mets hung 5 on Sheets." But I was glad to see that they had grabbed the lead and Sheets, while finally getting scored on shut it DOWN! 18 consecutive batters after the 2nd. And in consecutive starts, he has beaten Barry Zito (highest paid pitcher in baseball) and Johan Santana (2nd highest paid pitcher in baseball). There's a lot of talk about Kapler and Kendall, but I'm also very happy to see Weeks working out in the leadoff spot.

Game 12- Milwaukee v NY (N)
This game was so anxiety filled, that I wondered if I can take another competitive season. I'll take a season of games like this over a season like '02 any day. All in all, other than Mota's inability to throw strikes, I have to be happy with the bullpen. Gagne, other than making a "bad pitch" in two previous appearances, has been pretty solid. He throws strikes and he doesn't get rattled when he gets knocked around. I found it strange that after a mediocre rebirth in Texas last season, he was touted as the FINAL PIECE of the Red Sox bullpen. The player that would make Boston's bullpen's ubeatable... then he ended up being a bust as a setup man. In my opinion, the media and Red Sox fans overhyped him. But when the Brewers signed him this offseason, the media seemed to forget how wrong they were in July, and assumed he was done, ready for the trash heap, destined to pump gas in Montreal by June. But I figured he could still be effective enough to get the Brewers through this season until they could find a better long term option for the 9th inning. So far, (and it's early) he seems to be doing that. And as long as he doesn't give up 5 runs in the 9th to the Phillies, he may be an adequate replacement for CoCo.

No comments: