4.16.2008

Tough loss tonight, but not Bush's fault. The Brewer bats are struggling more than Joey Meyer in a phone booth. This funk of Prince's is compounded by the fact that Braun isn't hitting either. If those guys aren't hitting, the whole lineup seems to fall apart.


The Jeff Weaver signing is interesting. My first reaction was, "If we needed an arm, why did we let Vargas go?" But perhaps Weaver has something more left in him than Vargas, and apparently the contract the Brewers gave him was next to nothing considering it is all incentive laden.



Today is the anniversary of Juan Nieves' no-no. I'll never forget that night. I was doing my homework when my father came up from his workroom and told us the Brewers were throwing a no-hitter. I think when we turned it on, it was around the 7th inning. And to be honest, I didn't no the true deffinition of a no-hitter. To me a hit was any time you made contact with a ball. (Later on after the game, my father, using a chalkboard in the basement explained deffinitions of a base hit, error, no-hitter, perfect game and other baseball details.) But my brother and I watched that game, and when Robin caught the last out, I felt genuine excitement over a teams success. When you think about it, being a fan is a weird thing. You have, basically, no part in their success, yet seeing them succeed gives you great joy. I'll save the dynamics of "fan/team" relationships for later, but at that moment, I felt like I went from a casual Brewer fan, to a rabid, die-hard, sprinkle my ashes over County Stadium fan.

No comments: